Honorary Chair

©David Howells 2013

 

With deep gratitude, our special 15th season was dedicated to the memory of our dear supporter and friend, Janet C. Gardiner (1933-2015)

It is with a very heavy heart that we announce that Janet Gardiner, our honorary chair, has passed away. She has been a extraordinary, passionate friend and supporter of the Tuckamore Festival for 13 years, opening many doors for us along the way. We will certainly miss her, her dedication, her passion for music and for young musicians and her wonderful sense of humour.

Please take the time to read more about Janet’s remarkable life and achievements here.

In 2002, The Tuckamore Festival was fortunate to receive honorary patronage from one of Newfoundland and Labrador’s most respected business leaders, Janet Gardiner.

Dr. Gardiner was born in St. John’s and earned a bachelor of commerce degree from Dalhousie University. She became Newfoundland and Labrador’s first female chartered accountant in 1956. She has received a number of accolades and commendations throughout her career, including becoming a fellow chartered accountant in 1991, holding directorships on the boards of Fishery Products International, Canada/Newfoundland Offshore Petroleum Board, Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro and Mutual Life of Canada, earning a honorary doctor of laws from Memorial University in 1998 and becoming a member of the Order of Canada in 2009. Dr. Gardiner has also served on the advisory board of the Faculty of Business Administration and was the first woman to chair Memorial’s Board of Regents. She was awarded the J. D. Eaton Award for service to Memorial University in 2008.

A devoted mother and grandmother, Dr. Gardiner is also a dedicated community volunteer. She has served as chair of the St. Thomas’ Anglican Church finance committee and the Salvation Army Citizens Advisory Board. She has also been treasurer of the Newfoundland Symphony Orchestra, served with the St. John’s Board of Trade and on the consultative committees of the St. John’s Arts and Culture Centre and of the St. John’s Heritage Foundation.